The Kress operated as a popular five and dime store from 1923 through 1997. It was started by Samuel H Kress as the S H Kress Company. The building still remains a very well-known landmark to the local population.
SCCG was contracted for the restoration of The Kress Building which was an abandoned department store on Broughton street for many years. The restoration included structural upgrades to the foundation and walls, façade improvements from tuck pointing to replacement of deteriorated brick. The interior work was completed along with the exterior work with upgrades to the mechanical, electrical and plumbing throughout the entire building. The 19th century building was also retrofitted for its new use as a store, restaurant and 20 residential units.